Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Podcast Review – Introduction

My ever-loyal reader (I don’t know if there is still more than one of you. If there are more, let me know!). I may have mentioned a few times before that I have become enamoured with the phenomenon of podcasting. In the past few months I have discovered and subscribed to a number of podcasts on a variety of topics that interest me. If you’re reading this, then you’re probably interested in at least some of those topics as well.

So, as a service to you, I’m going to begin a series of posts dedicated to reviewing the podcasts I listen to. I only listen to podcasts I enjoy, so if a particular show is reviewed, it’s already passed that test. If I’m critical of a podcast, it is in comparison to the other ones I listen to. So even if I’m harsh, it shouldn’t be taken too negatively.

In case you don’t already know what a podcast is, I’m going to use this introduction to explain the basics of podcasting.

A podcast is essentially a radio show that can be downloaded from the Internet and listened to at your leisure. Some podcasts are recordings of actual radio shows that can be listened to later (in case you missed the live show), but it seems that most of them are recorded specifically for distribution as a podcast.

Most podcasts are downloaded as an MP3 audio file, which can be consumed either straight on your PC, or with the aid of your portable MP3 player (such as an iPod… hence the name). If you’re savvy enough to handle an MP3 file, you’ll know what other ways it can be used. I leave that to you.

In order to obtain the podcast file, you will usually be able to download it directly from the podcast’s website. This is a little cumbersome, as it means you have to go back to the site regularly to look for updates. If you have an iPod, you’ll be able to download many podcasts through iTunes. If you’re not an Apple fan, there are other options: you’ll need some sort of “podcatching” software.

Podcatchers are programs that allow you to subscribe to an RSS feed (which most podcast sites use). The software will usually automatically download any new podcasts that are published. If you already use an RSS feed reader (like Google Reader), you can use that for your podcast feeds as well. Feed readers usually don’t download the file automatically, but some people (like me) prefer it that way.

When I start reviewing individual podcasts, I’ll give you the RSS feed URL so you can subscribe to it with your reader or podcatcher of choice and give it a listen for yourself.

Right, now you know what I’m talking about. Let’s get started!

2 comments:

  1. I'm here Captain! Do spectral entities who stowaway in the jeffries tubes count as readers though? Loyal spectral entities, that is.

    I can't do that pod-thingy stuff
    :-(
    Technologically a bit spectral too, is it terribly obvious?
    Prehistoric machine with rocks for ram and rabbit feet for software. Sigh. Oh, woe.


    I'll slither off now and make a cave painting or something. Toast a couple of mopane worms, that sort of thing. If I can get the fire going that is. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course spectral entities are welcome! What sort of Starfleet Officer would I be if I discriminated against non-corporeal life-forms?

    In theory you should still be able to do the podcast thing on an ancient machine... I was downloading and listentening to MP3s ten years ago on a computer that was old then.

    The major limiting factor would probably be your bandwidth. Podcasts are seldom smaller than 1MB, and are often larger than 10MB. That's not really a problem for those of us with Internet access at work, or the lucky few with broadband access at home... but for those still on dial-up it would take a while to download.

    That being said, however, there are a few podcasts I listen to that may well be practicable for you to use... should you feel up to the challenge.

    Two of the Scientific American podcasts I reviewed ('60 Second Science' and '60 Second Psych') are both usually under 1MB, and shouldn't take longer than a few minutes to download on dialup.

    The other is the Onion Radio News (which I will review next) which is similarly small.

    Once you've downloaded it you should be able to listen to it right on your PC. Windows Media Player should do the trick... assuming you have working speakers.

    The question is, however, would you be satisfied to wait longer for something to download than it takes to consume it? Tough call.

    ReplyDelete