Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fight!

A few months ago, in a private forum, I tried to engage in a debate with conspiracy theorist and climate crank Ivo Vegter on the subject of his nonsense climate change denialist rants.

I quickly found myself out of my depth. A combination of my own lack of familiarity with both the climate science and denialist pseudoscience, and Vegter's skill with the combo of logical fallacies Changing the Goal Posts, Gibberish and a bunch of others thrown in forced me to back down.

Fortunately, there are those among us who are more skilled than I at this sort of thing. Such a person, Michael Meadon of Ionian Enchantment, has stepped forward to engage Vegter on his nonsense.

Although I missed the initial exchange of fire on Twitter (cos I was on a beach somewhere when it happened), I recommend you read Michael's first broadside. And then Vegter's frenzied and limp response. (a game of Name That Logical Fallacy, anyone?)

Although I'm certain that Vegter himself is too ideologically bound to his position to budge, I do look forward to seeing a balanced, well-informed and rational counterpoint to his ravings being available on the Internets.

Grab the popcorn, folks. This one's gonna be awesome!

1 comment: