Pages

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

It's official

So this weekend marked a milestone in my life. I had it confirmed by a respected authority that I am as smart as I always thought I was.

Yup, I took the Mensa test and passed!

Guess that makes me some kind of genius or something. I dunno... I still feel the same.

Too bad being a genius doesn't help you laid in this country. Oh well.

I know this isn't really a big deal... I now know for a fact that my school teachers were right when they kept telling me I wasn't reaching my "potential". Truth is I'm probably smarter than all of them. That's a cool thought.

Although I was quite chuffed about it, I didn't get the ticker-tape parade I was expecting.

Sure, my mom and my best girl were happy to hear it and proud of me and all... but it seemed there was something missing. Some kind of party to celebrate the fact that I really am more remarkable than is immediately apparent.

But none was forthcoming. My celebration consisted of going home to watch Star Trek by myself. Maybe being a genius really isn't all that remarkable.

I suppose it's selfish of me to expect people to drop everything to help me celebrate something they see as trivial and frankly unimportant. It seems many of my recent achievements in life have gone largely unnoticed by those closest to me.

Maybe my achievements have been trivial and unimportant.

Or maybe that's part of being a grownup. If that's the case, maybe I should consider a new career as a Forest-dwelling, green-clad, flying pirate-slayer.

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, congratulations.

    Secondly, don't worry if your achievements go unnoticed. You know what you know, and that should be enough. Getting recognition is great, but if you base your sense of self-worth on what others think, you are in for a very disappointing ride.

    Thirdly, you might wanna work on the modesty thing. With great genius comes great responsibility. Don't let it go to your head. (Yeah,I know: "Thanks, mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly.

    However, modesty is for mortals... ;-)

    ReplyDelete