Pages

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Out of my depth

A local Science Fiction club has asked me to help them run their annual Star Trek convention (the same one I spoke at last year).

I was kind of expecting to come in from the outside, analysing a working process and making suggestions for improvement.

This was not the case. The phone call I received went something along the lines of “Hi. We don’t have a venue, we don’t have a date, we haven’t actually done anything about arranging this con. What are you going to do about it?”

Sure, I may be the unchallenged South African expert on all things Trek, but how exactly does that qualify me for running a convention?

Okay, I’ve got some experience running conventions too… but a Health and Fitness Expo is very different to a Gaming Convention which, in turn, is surprisingly different to a Star Trek convention. I’m at somewhat of a loss.

*shrug*