Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Well that about wraps it up for Super Group

Yup, I just handed in my resignation and I’m off in search of greener pastures. They couldn’t match the offer I’ve received, so that’s it.

Ironically, even though this is one of the jobs I’ve enjoyed the least, on average, it’s also the job I’ve had the longest. My previous record was 18 months, this one lasted 28.

I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. “Starfleet Officer” isn’t a viable career choice yet. So every time I reach a career crossroads, I’m forced to evaluate the options available to me, and see which one is the least dissatisfactory… as opposed to following the path that leads me to where I want to be.

Of course I’d much rather be running a gaming shop, but I just can’t afford to take a risk like that right now. I need to be on a stable, sufficiently high income in order to fund the things I need in my life right now: a house, a wedding, perhaps a family. I can’t be in a situation where that income isn’t guaranteed, even for a couple of months.

One positive aspect is that my new job may bring me a little closer to that, by allowing me to develop some contacts that relate to one aspect of my plan. A small step, but a step nonetheless.

I can’t seem to shake the fear. I’m afraid that this move isn’t going to make any actual difference in my life… that I’ll be moving from the frying pan into the fire. It’s a feeling that isn’t justified by anything other than personal experience: ever since my Teraitech days, my jobs seem to have been getting, more-or-less, progressively worse. I can only hope that this move will alter that trend.

I was even kinda hoping my boss would match the offer. As unhappy as I was here, “rather the devil you know…”

2 comments:

  1. Babi, I think it is fantastic. You were never appreciated at Supergroup, which was reiterated by the pathetic counteroffer.

    One always feels a level of trepidation and uncertainty with change. The new company sounds a hellavu lot better and I think you are going to be much happier there.

    And I support you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you babi. I hope you're right.

    ReplyDelete