Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

That's news to me

I've recently started listening to Podcasts. Since I don't have a decent MP3 player yet, I've got a system of downloading the podcasts at work, then writing them to CD so I can listen to them on my car stereo.

It's a pretty good system, and it works so well that I'm able to enjoy most of my daily commuting without being subjected to the mind-numbing prattle that is South African radio.

The down-side of this is that I no longer catch the news anymore. Although the radio news is poor to say the least, they do sometimes cover the salient issues that have everyone talking.

In order to mitigate this gap in my information stream, I used Google Reader to subscribe to a Google News feed that delivers headlines from the major local news websites. A good idea, right?
The problem is that local news websites are apparently crap. They seem to completely miss the big stories.

The closest I get to the real news is reading about the opinions of arbitrary politicians and celebrities, sometimes days after the fact, while the actual event is mentioned only in passing!

If anyone knows a good website I can subscribe to that actually reports the NEWS please give me a heads-up.

Much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment