Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2006

I swear... I'm this close...

…this close to just walking out of here.

I am sick and tired of the unreasonable demands made by my job, and the disinterested attitude I have to put up with from my manager.

In the past 2 months or so:
- I’ve had to work many late nights and weekends (including New Years’ weekend), which was never part of my original job description.
- I’ve had my leave request denied.
- I’ve been forced to go from one site to another every day, on opposite sides of Joburg… at great expense.
- I had to fight to get a standard-issue security access card to get onto those sites.
- I’ve been short-paid on my Christmas bonus and expense claims.
- I’ve been shoehorned into doing work that is nothing even remotely related to my job description… to the point where I had to buy myself a hard-hat (IT support people don’t usually wear those).
- I’ve made a request for training that would make my job 1000 times easier, allow me to generate revenue for my department and would also provide me scope for career advancement… and had that request denied because it’s not “in line with division strategy”. Whatever the hell that means.
- I’ve been rapped over the knuckles several times for other people’s mistakes… which points to the fact that my manager actually has no idea what it is that I do for a living.
- I’ve had to put up with my manager’s “leadership style” which started out as being manipulative, but has now degenerated into being just plain patronizing.

These retards don’t pay me enough to treat me like a teenager. If I wanted to be underpaid and treated with contempt and disrespect, I would work for my sister.

As much as I enjoy the security of working in a large corporation, it’s clear that as long as people like my manager are put in positions where they are able to dictate how I live my life, I will never be able to succeed. It’s time for hard-ball.