Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Corporate lessons from nursery school

I don’t know about you, but I frequently start feeling drowsy in the mid afternoon. It doesn’t really matter what I’m doing, what I’ve had to eat or how much sleep I’ve had, at around 2:30 every day I start feeling drowsy.

It seems to go away again, and by 4 I’m wide awake. But no matter what I do, I don’t seem to be able to avoid that afternoon slump. And while it’s upon me, my ability to concentrate, and thus be productive, is severely diminished. I’m forced to do things like Sudoku puzzles or blogging just to keep my eyes open.

Assuming that everyone else encounters the same phenomenon, I propose the following: every office building should have a Nap Room on each floor. (The Nap Room would only be for employees who have to work in public areas like “open-plan” offices or cube-farms. People who have private offices can simulate these conditions without stepping out.)

It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just a room the size of a large office with some comfy couches in it. It should be darkened with curtains or blinds, and preferably sound-proofed, with some relaxing music being played all the time. (Private office workers could be provided with a comfy chair and relaxing music CDs to play on their computers.)

Then, whenever you’re sitting at your desk and start feeling drowsy, you can pop over to the Nap Room and have a little snooze. After a bit you can wake up and grab a cup of coffee on the way back to your desk, refreshed and more productive.

In fact, I would gladly accept a 1 or 2 hour extension to my working hours if I was allowed either a designated or informal nap-time during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment