Pages

Monday, March 07, 2005

"I'm sorry"

How many times a day do you hear this? How many times a day do you say it yourself?

Have you ever really stopped to consider whether or not you really mean it?

To me an apology is only sincere if it includes, or at least implies, three essential messages that I like to call the 3 R’s. It has to have all three, or the apology is empty and meaningless… essentially a lie.

Responsibility:
The acknowledgement that you have done something wrong. If you don’t believe you’ve committed an offense, why are you apologizing?

Regret:
Admitting to feeling bad about what you’ve done, or at least wishing you hadn’t done it. Again, if you’re glad you did it; your apology would be a lie.

Repeat offense:
The guarantee that you won’t do it again. Obviously no one can see the future, and you never really know whether or not you will actually do it again, but you should at least try not to. If you know you’re probably going to do it again next week, then again, your apology would be a lie.

If you accidentally bump into someone with your trolley in the supermarket, a quick “Sorry!” is called for… because chances are it meets the 3R requirements.

But often we do things to people that we know are wrong or hurtful, but we persist in doing them, knowingly and habitually, for whatever reason. Apologizing in such a situation is not called for. It wouldn’t be truthful, and therefore offering it would be a further offense.

So next time you’re about to tell someone how sorry you are, ask yourself if you really are sorry.

4 comments:

  1. So, so true!
    And the harsh reality is that WHEN (or if – being an optimist) it happens again it is 10 times more destructive, because not only did you do something hurtful a second time (this time being intentional), you lied on top of it!
    I think we all come across this event so many times in our lives that we get used to it – and almost expect things to happen again after some one apologizes for the first time…
    Well, I guess if you’re optimistic you don’t, but – realistic – well – I think you do.
    You are right, there is not enough thought put into saying the word “Sorry”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm just anal about it, but I really think that is the case.

    I've spoken a few words in haste in my time, but I usually try hard to think carefully about what I say.

    What's the point of using language if we're always saying things we don't mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your 3R-apology will cut it!

    I am sorry for keeping you from going with your instincts and removing the post.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so too, but seems doubtful at the moment.

    It's my fault for writing it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete