Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2005

These are the voyages…

I just finished watching the final episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.

Yes, there are indeed tears running down my cheeks. The final sequence was beautiful… the three most famous captains uttering the famous words as their ships fly by…

These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
Her continuing mission: To explore strange new worlds.

To seek out new life and new civilisations.
To boldly go where no man has gone before
.”

It breaks my heart that this may be the end of Star Trek altogether. I’m not going to rant now about the incompetence of Paramount Pictures, as this is too solemn an occasion for a tirade.

The lyrics of the Enterprise theme song ‘Faith of the heart’ by Dianne Warren seem more fitting now than ever:

It’s been a long road getting from there to here.
It’s been a long time but my time is finally here.
I will see my dream come alive at last,
I will touch the sky!
And they’re not going to hold me down no more,
No, they’re not going to change my mind.

Because I’ve got faith of the heart.
Going where my heart will take me.
I’ve got faith to believe I can do anything
I’ve got strength of the soul
No-one’s going to bend or break me

I can reach any star!
I’ve got faith…
I’ve got faith…
I’ve got faith of the heart.


For the first time since 1977 there is currently no Star Trek series or feature film in production or planning. The spirit of Trek and the message of Gene’s dream must live on in the hearts of we, the fans… the Trekkies. Through us it will live long, and prosper.

Although we may not be seeking out new life or new civilisations, we can still go boldly where no man, or no one, has gone before.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes” – Marcel Proust.

No comments:

Post a Comment