Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Time for some new business

The last few years I’ve been fascinated by languages, and I’m eager to learn as many different ones as I can… for no particular reason other than the fun of it. Besides, the more languages you can speak, the more places in the world you’re able to go where you can understand the local people.

I started Klingon, then American Sign Language, then Spanish, then Japanese… but the problem with learning a language on your own is not having anyone to converse with.

In each of those languages I learned the basic grammar, phonetics and a few words and phrases that I use often, but soon after that I hit a wall… I always battle to memorize the vocabulary.

I’ve considered having lessons, but it’s very expensive, and I’m not sure I want to give up yet another night of my week for my cultural pursuits, especially since I’ll only be able to do one language at a time.

I’ve also looked at those CD packages that allow you to teach yourself a language. Again, they’re quite expensive (considering I’ve been learning for free on the Internet thus far) and it’s difficult to find all the languages you want in the local book shops. I wouldn’t want to fork over R1000 or something every couple of months when I want to start a new language.

I had hoped that the local Mensa chapters would have a Languages SIG (Special Interest Group… Mensa has many of these, they’re like clubs within a club), but they don’t.

I’m in a situation where I was back in December 1998 when I couldn’t find a local Star Trek fan club to join… I started one.

So I was thinking… maybe I should start some sort of language club. Your price of entry is one of those CD language courses in a language that isn’t already in the club library… we could meet regularly to exchange course materials and practice speaking the languages. And of course drink wine or something. Sort of like those women’s “book clubs” that are so popular nowadays, but this would actually be focused around the activity, and not so much around the wine.

It would still be giving up a night a week, or two weeks or whatever, but it would be a far more social event than a class, and I wouldn’t be limited to a single language at a time. It also would work out far cheaper in the long run, since each member would only have to buy one set of CDs in order to have access to the communal library instead of each member collecting their own.

The question is how many people would really want to join such a club? It would need at least five or six members in order for the concept to work.

4 comments:

  1. Save to say you can count dukenuke and myself in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking online for those audio courses and I've found an awesome site... www.audible.com

    It allows you to download audio books in digital format... they have over 18000 audio books that they've converted to downloadable files in varying levels of quality.

    You have to pay for the downloads, but it's invariably much cheaper than buying the actual course material.

    Not that I would ever support piracy, but since this stuff is out there in digital format, chances are the same files can be aquired from less-than-legal online resources... for evaluation purposes, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet you I know some one who can help with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think to approach the local language schools for an exchange programme, that's a good idea, thanks! I'll look into that.

    Spanish isn't one of the more popular languages around here... although South Africa has 11 official languages, Spanish isn't one of them ;)

    I am keeping an eye out for any Spanish speakers, or speakers of any of the languages we're keen on, to come and give us a hand. That language school idea is a good one... you've got me thinking again.

    ReplyDelete