Pages

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Robert The Bruce Claymore

Robert The Bruce Claymore



I'm giving serious thought to buying this.

I'll admit, I was inspired by the Real Life into choosing this particular sword, but buying a sword has been on my To Do list for some time.

The way I see it, it's a man's duty to defend the way of life of his family. Although swords haven't really been used in combat since WWI, I still believe that the sword is a symbol for a man's acceptance of that duty. I suppose in this day and age a gun might serve the same purpose, but I think a sword is far more elegant and attractive.

I like this particular sword because it represents my scottish heritage. As a matter of fact my maternal grandmother's maiden name was MacMillan. The MacMillan crest depicts a claymore in it:



I would like to get a "battle ready" version with a high-carbon steel blade as opposed to an ornamental stainless steel one because I would like it to be potentially functional. Although I hope I'll never have to use it, I would like to be able to, should the need arise.

Once I have it, I'll be visiting Griffon's Tor, the local chapter of the SCA so their knights can show me how to use it properly, just in case.

If I have a son one day, I'll pass it onto him on his wedding day as a symbol of his responsibility to protect his family... my family has no real heirlooms and I think it would be quite nice to be able to give my son a tangible piece of family heritage.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, living on the same island where these swords came from is an advantage... in the absense of any master swordsmiths on the entire continent that I am able to locate, I'm forced to resort to buying them online.

    I would've liked to examine a specimen before I order to make sure the quality is adequate, but I suppose I don't have that luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that said, I'm finding it exceedlingly difficult to find a website that will accept orders from and ship to South Africa.

    I may have to enlist your aid in acquiring my weapon.

    ReplyDelete